How exciting! November 1 is National Vinegar Day.
AND…National Drink Wine Day is February 18
Did you know that vinegar was an accidental discovery? In ancient times, they found that when grape juice was left undisturbed, it turned to wine. That’s awesome! Better get to drinkin’ it because if you don’t, it will turn to vinegar. Eeew, not so great! Eventually, the wonders of vinegar were revealed. Vinegar has been revered through the ages. It has many uses and therapeutic qualities. For minor ailments, cleaning, cooking, health & beauty, and pet care. The big question here is, are there songs about vinegar?
Are there any songs about or with the word, vinegar? YES! I found ONE!!
“Fish and Chips and Vinegar,” sing it as a round. Look how Sharon, Lois & Bram do it.
- The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in, with a portion of chips… you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them. Sid Waddell
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/vinegar.html
- You can get more flies with honey than with vinegar. ~ American Proverb
- “Men are like wine. Some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age.” ~Pope John XXIII
- “Full of piss and vinegar,” is a phrase used to express an attitude of somebody that is full of energy, vigor, and perhaps rowdiness. (definition from the UrbanDictionary.com)
- Full of vim and vigor means is an expression of one having energy and strength. (From dictionary.com)
Take heart, it is very important to understand and know where someone is emotionally before presenting and using music. Proverbs 25:20 from the New Living Translation states, “Singing cheerful songs to a person with a heavy heart is like taking someone’s coat in cold weather or pouring vinegar in a wound.” Sometimes we want to reach out to those who are hurting, but even with good intentions, we must be careful to not to increase his or her burden more. There is a very helpful, practical book on the art of intelligent sensitivity with those who are suffering available on Amazon, “Don’t Sing Songs to a Heavy Heart.”
February 18th is National Drink Your Wine Day
10 Wine Songs
- Red, Red Wine by UB40 and Bob Marley
- Bottle of Wine by Tom Paxton
3. Strawberry Wine by Deanna Carter
4. Elvira by The Oak Ridge Boys
5. Days of Wine & Roses by Henry Mancini
6. Tiny Bubbles by Don Ho
– A song totally about champagne.
7. Happy New Year by ABBA
8. Kisses Sweeter Than Wine by Peter, Paul & Mary
9. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel
10. Two More Bottles of Wine by Emmylou Harris
To brighten your colors, instead of using bleach, get the same results using vinegar. Just add 1/2 pint white distilled vinegar to your machine’s wash cycle to brighten up the colors in each load.
Back to Vinegar – Cleaning
To get clean cutting boards, clean and disinfect by wiping with full strength white distilled vinegar.
To make sure your air conditioner is free from potentially harmful bacteria, clean your filter every 10 days with equal parts white distilled vinegar and warm water. Let it soak an hour, squeeze dry and re-install.
16 oz strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 c. white wine vinegar
2 T. sugar
In a bowl stir together the strawberries, vinegar, and sugar. Let stand, covered at room temp for 2 days. Discard the strawberries with a slotted spoon and strain vinegar through a fine sieve lined with a triple thickness of rinsed and squeezed cheesecloth into a bowl. Transfer the vinegar to a bottle with tight lid. Use on salads and as marinade. Keep in cool, dark place indefinitely.
Recipe from, “Vin-e-gar-1001 practical household uses,” by L&K Desings, 2007
Health & Beauty
According to the book, “Vinegar-1001 Practical Household Uses,” apple cider vinegar has powerful healing and remedial qualities. It is a purifier and effective in detoxifying the body. It can aide in healthy weight. Containing Apple Pectin, a dietary fiber.
Use apple cider vinegar to relieve a cough. Combine 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with 2 teaspoons of honey in a glass of water and sip regularly throughout the day.
For conditioning your hair, combine 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 teaspoons olive oil and 3 egg whites. Rub mixture into your hair. Keep it covered for 30 minutes using a shower cap. Lastly, shampoo as usual.
Clean your pet’s brush and comb by dipping in apple cider vinegar and then rinsing with cold water. This will stop bacteria formation.